The Calyx Institute now has access to the 4G / LTE data network and you can get a full year of wireless data - 30GB+ per month for FREE with membership * !!
For legal reasons, we can't call it unlimited data service, but..... We are supposed to refer to it as 30 GB+.. however when you pass the 30GB mark during the month, the Internet service does not slow down (throttle), or cut you off, and there are NO overage charges.
The plan only works in the USA in Sprint's mobile data service area (see instructions to check the map below). Coverage is not available everywhere in the USA, and varies based on a number of factors. This data plan does not include off-network roaming, and as Sprint puts it "it is subject to any standard network management that Sprint may apply to commercial broadband data-only account users".
Do the math yourself. Find out what a 30GB/month mobile data service plan normally costs (and that plan will shut off after 30GB!) and you will see what an amazing value this is.
* We are giving away these really unique year-long 4G / LTE data plans, along with a Franklin R850 4G Hotspot from Sprint to Calyx members who join at the $500 ("Contributor") level or higher.
Members who donate and join at the 'Contributor Plus' level or higher have the option of a hotspot with improved performance and better build quality, the Franklin R910. The R910 supports both 4G and 3G which means it has a much larger network coverage area. It also supports Sprint's LTE Plus carrier aggregation features which means potentially much higher network speeds.
For more information on the devices, see our wireless equipment page.
When you become a member you help Calyx become self-sustaining and pay its data center bills, keep our Tor nodes going, keep our Jabber service free, keep our free VPN test-bed going, and help us continue to innovate in terms of free educational materials and security services we offer to the public.
Got more questions? Check out our 4G / LTE Frequently Asked Questions.
Sounds good ?
How to check if Sprint's 4G / LTE data service is available in your area:
Check your local coverage by visiting Sprint’s Network Map website:
1) Click on the upper right where it says "Get device specific coverage"
2) Click "Select manufacturer" and select "Franklin" depending on which modem you want to see
3) When a window pops up with the devices under that manufacturer, select either the R910 or the R850.
4) Zoom in on your area of the map
5) Look at the yellow and orange – Spark and 4G LTE