November 21, 2013
- We keep personal information only to the extent you provide it and we need it to communicate with you or recognize any contribution from you.
- We strive to protect your privacy, and limit the amount of your personal information we collect, retain and use in order to manage and maintain our mission and provide our services and programs. We keep minimal logs of Internet activities other than on an aggregate basis to detect and correct problems with our servers which we will delete after we have resolved any problems.
- We do not sell or share personal information or data with other individuals or groups not affiliated with Calyx other than as necessary to upgrade, maintain and repair our network and infrastructure.
- We will attempt to defend your personal information from disclosure and to notify you of any requests for disclosure unless notification is prohibited by law.
- We do not monitor your Internet usage or communications.
- We encrypt all personal information that is stored on our network and servers.
We limit the amount of personal information we receive and retain, and thereby strive to protect your privacy. Our fundamental policy is to collect only the personal information that is essential to provide the programs and services we offer and plan to offer. We pursue this goal in a variety of ways, including providing you with multiple ways of setting up, managing and paying for your membership, limiting the number of resources our Websites load from third parties, and using only a minimal number of session cookies. We do not collect any personal information for the purpose of advertising, marketing, or consumer research. Furthermore, we do not collect information from other sources, such as credit information from credit agencies or commercially available demographic and marketing information from third parties, and we do not purchase e-mail lists from third parties.
- Internet Services (including the Calyx test bed and suite of Internet programs and services, collectively called "Internet Services").
- Websites (including calyxinstitute.org and calyx.net, collectively called "Websites").
- Educational Programs and Materials (including publications and training materials called "Educational Materials", and presentations and forums called "Educational Programs", and collectively with Educational Materials called "Educational Programs and Materials").
II. Information That We CollectThe personal information that we obtain about our users occurs primarily through four activities and only to the extent that you provide it to us: membership registration, payment processing, operating our Websites and providing our Internet Services and Educational Programs and Materials.
B. Technical and Usage InformationCalyx may collect aggregate information in order to ensure the quality of the network, Internet Services, Websites and Educational Programs and Materials. We maintain this information only for as long as reasonably necessary.
C. We Do Not Collect or Retain Information from Children Under the Age of 13Our programs and services, including our Websites and Internet Services, are not designed to attract or be used by children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 13 unless we first obtain permission from that child's parent or legal guardian. If you are a parent and we have mistakenly collected information about your child. You may alert us via email and we will delete the information we possess. The address to email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
III. How We Use This Information
We collect and maintain personal information as well as technical information only to the extent necessary to provide you with our programs and services. We do not sell, and do not contemplate selling your personal or technical information to anyone for any reason other than in connection with the transfer of all or substantially all of the assets of Calyx to a third party which transfer must be approved by the Office of the Attorney General of the State of New York. We will exercise our best efforts to provide notice on our Websites prior to such an event to enable any Member or other person registered with us to remove his/her personal information at that time.
A. Personal Information
The confidentiality of your personal information is very important to us. We will use your personal information only in connection with providing our Internet Services, Websites and Educational Programs and Materials. Thus, membership information will be used for maintaining your registration and active membership. Specific logging information will be used to diagnose problems with our Websites, and potentially to improve what we provide on our Websites. These activities typically include:
- To initiate, provide and manage the Internet Services, Websites and Educational Programs and Materials you have accessed, and to respond to your questions or comments;
- To bill, and collect, if any charge must be imposed, for our programs. services and merchandise; and
- To communicate with you regarding service updates and the status of our programs and services.
B. Technical and Usage Information
The confidentiality of technical information related to your use of our programs and services is also very important to us. We use the technical information we collect only to address network integrity, quality control, capacity, misuse, viruses, and security issues, as well as for network planning, engineering and technical troubleshooting purposes. Additionally, this information may be used in the case of any lawsuit initiated against Calyx, or to protect Calyx’s rights.
IV. How This Information Is Shared With Third Parties
We reserve the right, however, to disclose your information, both personal and technical, if we have a good faith belief it is entirely necessary to comply with the law, protect the integrity of our programs and services, or act in an emergency to protect your safety or that of another. This information will be shared only if the appropriate third party properly requests it. This process is explained below.
V. How We Respond to Requests for Data from Law Enforcement and Government Agencies
We will share personal information available to us with law enforcement or other government agency in any of the following circumstances:
- With the user’s written and signed consent;
- When the request is made pursuant to a warrant, subpoena, court order, or other apparently valid legal process; or
- When we are required in other instances to disclose personal information in order to comply with applicable law.
However, we will not violate the law and we must comply with lawful governmental orders and investigations. We will try to protect your privacy to the extend the law permits.
VI. How You Can Access and Change Your Personal Information.
If you would like to review or correct your personal information we maintain, please contact us. Calyx will use good faith efforts to respond to any requests from Members to review their personal information maintained in reasonably retrievable form, and we will correct information found to be inaccurate.
We can be contacted via email at email@example.com or via postal mail at The Calyx Institute, 254 36th Street, Suite C660, Brooklyn, NY 11232.
VII. How Data That is Stored Is Protected; Notification of Security Breach
In the unlikely event that the security of our storage facilities is compromised, resulting in an unauthorized third party having access to any of your information, we will attempt to contact you and let you know. You may provide us an email address that we will notify in the event of a breach.